France in the Movies

0 Comments


Keeping a Movie Lover Inspired


Most people by now should know that I absolutely love movies and will watch pretty much anything (as long as it is not a horror movie). And lately I can’t help but watch the portrayal of the city of lights in the movies. How people see it as the capital of romance, fashion, art, and culture. Now I try to keep myself a little more grounded than that, but sometimes I can’t help the dream-like appeal that Paris represents in the movies.

Napoleon, Paris

  • Midnight in Paris: can I just live like Owen Wilson did in this movie? Go back in time and hang out with some of the writing greats like Ernest Hemingway, Gertrude Stein, and F Scott Fitzgerald? And then go with Marion Cotillard into La Belle Époque? If not then can I just hang out with Tom Hiddleston in Paris? Yes this movie really makes me a dreamer!
  • Paris Je T’Aime: a random collection of scenes within Paris. The first time I saw this I couldn’t finish it. It was not what I expected. But now I actually enjoy the appeal of it. It is not just a love story, a breakup story, a success story. It’s a movie about the different stories that happen in Paris and that make up it’s charm. I might be watching this on repeat right now.
  • Les Miserables: I am not a fan of great books into musicals, but the music is so good that I can’t help but love it. Les Miserables brings me back to one of my favorite periods to study about French history: The French Revolution and beyond.  
  • Moulin Rouge: now I really don’t plan on visiting this part of Paris, or singing of that matter, but I do sort of feel like Ewan McGregor’s character moving to Paris with no major plan and hoping that it will work out. This movie just gets me excited about love then rips my heart out. Paris, please don’t do this to me!
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame: this is probably everyone’s least favorite Disney movie, but it is one of my favorites! Esmarelda’s sass, a funny goat, mixed with the background of Paris captured my attention as a kid. And to be honest, I will still watch it because it’s Paris, my people, where I was born! And a teeny tiny bit of history. Yes this movie had to be on the list.
  • Anastasia: a blend of two of my favorite things: the Russian Revolution and Paris. And yes I am talking about the cartoon. While historically inaccurate, this was my favorite non-Disney movie growing up and the scenes in Paris just make me happy. Lately I’ve wanted to watch this again just because I know that I will be in Paris.
  • The Intouchables: not a movie about Paris but a beautiful, touching story set in Paris. I highly recommend it for everyone.


     
    Versailles, France

    Ok thank you for letting me ramble on about my love of movies and my fairy tale of Paris. I wonder that if this time next year I will see these movies differently or if I will still be captured by its charm. Only time will tell.

    You Might Also Like

    0 comments:

    Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: