Birthdays in Europe

0 Comments



Happy Women's Day and Happy Birthday to Me!



I don't know how to describe it, but there is something much more magical about celebrating my birthday on the continent that I was born on. Not sure if anyone else feels that way, but for me, it has always been something special. Maybe it is because in the last four years I have began to identify myself as more European than American, or maybe its just the homeland calling me back! Whatever it is, I have had some pretty incredible birthdays in Europe.


2015

My very first birthday that I celebrated in Europe was in France, the country that I was born in. This day, while a very normal and low key day, was actually very important to me. For my entire life, up until this point, I had celebrated all of my birthdays in America. And I never really thought much of it. I always enjoyed the day, spent time with friends and family, and looked forward to it. But getting the opportunity to celebrate that day in France meant a lot more to me than I thought it would. For me it meant that I was finally connecting with my French roots and finally living life in the country that I am from. 

Celebrating my birthday in France meant beginning the celebrations the night before to celebrate my great uncle turning 80. The dinner, couscous, went well into the night with lots of drinking, eating, and joke telling. By midnight we were singing and wishing him a happy birthday and then it clicked, it was my birthday too! I was finally celebrating in the country of my birth! The party went well into the night and I think we finally made it out of there at three in the morning.

The next day, I had fondue for lunch with some cousins and my aunt and uncle. The fondue was amazing, made from scratch at first. But then they surprised me with a Nutella éclair as a birthday cake. You heard me right, Nutella éclair! It was a perfect day and the best way I could imagine brining in my birthday.



2017

This birthday was much more hectic than the last birthday, but that is because I got to celebrate my birthday in two countries on the same day! You heard me right: two countries! My mom and my aunt were visiting me in Finland and we decided to take a trip throughout Europe. We began the day in Munich where we took a train to Salzburg Austria. That's right! We went on the Sound of Music Tour.  As I sang my way through the hills of Austria, it hit me once again that I was in the continent that I was born in. 

The entire tour we sang our hearts out and enjoyed the lovely sights. We even changed the words up a bit and began singing "I am 25 going on 26!" After the tour we were able to get lunch at my favorite restaurant in Salzburg called Zipfer-Bierhaus. I introduced my mom and my aunt to some great Austrian food and then we walked around Salzburg just a bit more. 

Finally we made it back to Munich where for dinner we went to another one of my favorite restaurants called Andescher am Dom. There, I feasted on some good German sausage, sauerkraut, and mashed potatoes. The day was amazing and I am so glad that I got to spend it with my mom and aunt in two countries that I love so much. I may have stuffed my face a little too much, but that's what birthdays are for, right?


2018

Today I get to celebrate my birthday in Finland. And I have to say, I am pretty excited to celebrate my birthday in the country that I have lived in for almost two years and fallen in love with. I am not someone that needs to celebrate their birthdays, but when I live in Europe, I tend to enjoy a little celebration here and there. But today, I don't know what is going to happen. I know that my boyfriend is planning it for me and I am just happy to spend the day with him. I also know that tomorrow night I am heading out to celebrate with all the friends that I have made here, something that I never do. Last year, I got emotional that my twenties were officially halfway over, this year I am happy to enjoy the day and see what 27 has in store for me! But no matter what, I know it is something special, just like celebrating my birthday in Europe.


You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: