The Best Things About Living in Finland

0 Comments


Finland: The Best Nordic Country to Live In


So many people ask me why I moved to Finland, why I love it so much, and why I don't want to leave. Well, there is a lot to it. And as I am getting ready to move in the next month, I am getting pretty nostalgic about my last two years here. I am so glad that I got to live here and fall in love with the country. Between the landscape, the people, the culture, and the things to do, there is a lot to be admired in Finland. Here are just a few of the best things.


Nature ... Everywhere

Finland isn't short of nature. Instead, it has an abundance of it. Everywhere you turn there are green parks or forests. If you're looking for some tranquility, Finland has that in its nature. And the Finns love it. They love going out to the forests to go mushroom and berry picking. There are plenty of activities for everyone. From nordic walking, hiking, to skiing in the winter, there is always an abundance of ways to enjoy the Finnish nature. 



Crystal Clear Water

Finland is surrounded by water. Even in central Finland, there are plenty of lakes. And then southern Finland has all of its islands. So yes, there is a lot of water. But what is so nice is that it is relatively clean water, especially in the lakes. This makes for some amazing views and plenty of activities. In the winter you can walk or skate on the water. But in the summer, there are plenty of things to do. The best being swimming of course. And why wouldn't you in such nice water! Just be ready for the cold!



Efficient Public Transportation

Getting around Finland is so easy if you don't mind, trams, trains, busses, and metros. All of Helsinki is easily accessible, like any capital city. But a weekend getaway is always doable, if you have the time. You can take trains, busses, or planes to most parts of Finland. There is always some sort of bus running from one city to another. The only downfall is that it takes a while. But if you can afford the price tag of a plane ticket, then it is super doable.


English as a Second Language

Finns speak good English, like really good English. Even older people who you would expect to have not learned English in school speak good English. So as an expat, getting by is very easy. My electricity and water bills even come to me in English! My apartment contract is in English, and all my studies are in English. It is no wonder I have had a hard time learning Finnish, its because they keep speaking English to me!


The People

What can I say about Finnish people? I love them. I love their modesty and their shyness. I love their love of the outdoors and enjoying both winter and summer. The Finns are such nice people that I will truly miss them when I leave. They are always so helpful and patient when I don't understand anything and they are always willing to teach me about their culture. So yes, living in Finland is truly enjoyable, and a lot of that is thanks to the people.


Relatively Undiscovered

When I lived in Paris, I always felt so crowded when it was tourist season. But that's not the case in Helsinki. Most people can't even place it on a map. Others choose other Nordic countries to visit. There are only a few months where there are a lot of tourists. So living in the city is actually quite peaceful. But Finnish tourism is picking up and people are discovering the gem that is Helsinki. So who knows what it would like like in a few years, but until then, I am enjoying the calm.



Good Education

Finland is known for its educational system. It is one of the best in the world. So I am so glad that I got to move here and take part in that. I love that you are allowed to choose whatever you want to study, that there is no limit to the courses that you can take, and that they truly do support students. Finland understands that its students are the future, and it really invests in the education of its people. It is normal for people to go to school here, get a degree, and continue studying. I appreciate how challenging it can be but I also appreciate how much support I receive from my professors. I love the flexibility of the system. If I could stay in Finnish university, I would. 



Safety

Finland is such a safe country, it is ranked as one of the safest in the world. Walking around at night is never worrisome for me in Helsinki, even when I am alone. People generally let you do your thing and never harass you. Generally, there are never any violent instances compared to the US and France. So living in Finland for the last two years has been so peaceful and relaxing. I like not being stressed about creepers in the street or having my bag being stolen. Everyone who has come to Finland has noticed this as well. Finland is just safe.

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: