Drinking While Traveling

0 Comments


Drinking and Traveling as a Solo Female Traveler: Why I Avoid It


It is quite common today for being to drink their way around Europe and experience a culture through its bars. I know quite a few people that are brave enough to go the bars whenever they explore a new city and they are completely safe. However, I tend to avoid doing that. Maybe it's because I've dealt with enough harassment as a solo female traveler, maybe it's because I'm too cheap, or maybe it's because I don't drink that much anyway. Nevertheless, I always take caution when I do drink while traveling and I encourage others to do so too. 


Know Your Limits

This is my biggest advice because it is usually best not to get black out drunk in a city that you don't know. When I do drink, I always know how much I can handle while still being coherent and aware of the situation. Most European countries are quite safe, but since it has become party central in a few cities, there are areas that I avoid. Instead, I chose to have a drink with dinner or during the daytime when I know that there's plenty of people around. I always stop myself before I get tipsy too. Although, if I am alone and don't have anyone I know around me, I usually just have one drink. But my best advice is know your body and know how much you can handle.


Drink in Groups

The only time that I really do enjoy a beer is when I am traveling with someone, usually my mom. And I will usually do that in a city that I have been to before. Since I am usually the navigator, I try to keep a sober mind in order to navigate us around a new city. So if you're with a group of friends, feel free to indulge a little bit. But still don't go blackout drunk. You don't want to wakeup in a foreign hospital. Instead have a designated sober friend to help you out when you do choose to drink


Know Your Way Back

Always have a plan to leave. I know a lot of my friends enjoy going to bars and clubs when they travel. Do some research ahead of time and figure out how you are going to safely leave the club. Try not to stay out too late and be prepared to spend some money. Sometimes it's safer to take public transportation or a cab back rather than wandering around the streets alone. Have a plan ahead of time

Like I said, I don't drink much. It could be because of my anxiety, that I don't want anything to happen. But I do know that it is a big part of traveling for young people these days. So go ahead, have fun, but do it responsibly.


You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: