Croque Monsieur

0 Comments

Croque Monsieur: Better Than Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

When I think of French comfort food, I think of croque monsieur and croque madame. And while they can be easy to make, the best come from restaurants that know how to make them right. Which is why whenever I am out at a casual restaurant, I always order a croque monsieur or madame. To americans it may seem as just a fancy grilled cheese, but to french children, and me, it is so much more.


The croque monsieur came from french bars as a quick snack. For many people its easy to make and has many variations. It is made with bread, ham, cheese, typically emmental or gruyère, and a beschamel sauce. And I think that the sauce is key to its success. And FYI, I can make the sandwich, but not the sauce, which is why I take advantage of restaurants who can do it for me. But my favorite is the croque madame, which is the same ingredients except with an egg on top. As if the bread, the cheese, and the ham wasn't enough, add a nice runny egg on top to bring the carb heaven together. So if you're even in a bar, café, or brasserie, forget about your diet and relive your childhood by ordering a croque monsieur or madame.

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: