My Favorite Travel Guides

0 Comments

Travel Guides: The Most Practical and Informative

People always ask me what guidebooks I like best when I travel, and I have to be honest, I rarely bring a guidebook with me. What I do, however, is I take photos with my phone of a guidebook, so that way I have recommendations on the go. So while I don't have a guidebook with me, they are always my go to reference when planning my travels. From hotel and restaurant recommendations from the history of certain sites, I make sure to read up and take pictures before going. Here are some of my favorites: 



Rough Guides to Europe on a Budget

This is by far my favorite guidebook because it has everything that a budget traveler needs. From language tips to budget recommendations, this guidebook is a great investment. You can even buy it as an ebook, making it super accessible on the go. I have been using this book for years because every European country, except Belarus and Moldova, are included with multiple destinations within the country. For someone looking for a trip throughout Europe, this is the book. But if you are looking for a more comprehensive look into an entire country or city, Rough Guides also city and country guides. You can buy it on Amazon for $19.03



Lonely Planet Guides

When it comes to maps, I love these guides. There are always a variety of different maps within these guidebooks, making it super easy to plan your routes. While other travel guides do not have detailed maps complete with street names, the Lonely Planet guidebooks always include maps by each neighborhood within a city, making it very convenient for using. And the size of the books makes it easy to throw in your bag and pull out whenever you may need some directions. Most books go for $16 or $18 on Amazon.



DK Eyewitness

I love organization and lists, so naturally I love these travel guides. Every city has a top ten list of things to see and do. But the lists don't stop there! Within those lists, there are more lists about great things in each neighborhood or each museum, breaking everything down. It is super readable and gives some brief information on each site. When I can, I will take a quick glance at these to get an idea of the city I will be visiting. The books range fro $10 to $20 on Amazon



Rick Steves

What I like about these guidebooks by Rick Steves is that they always include do it yourself walking tours. There is always an abundance of history and information that allows you to get that guided tour feel but at your own pace. He also makes good recommendations for those who can afford mid-range hotels and restaurants, but they are always spot on! He offers a variety of guidebooks, from city guides to country guides, even a Europe guide. His organization is easy to read, but the guided tours are my favorite feature. Most books are around $20 on Amazon

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: