Living in the Snow

0 Comments

Living in the Snow: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly


All my life I had dreamed about what it would be like to live in a country where there is snow. Growing up in California, I never really saw any snow. It was too hot. But I always had this fantasy of living in the snow. Playing in the snow. The beauty of the snow. So when I moved to Finland, I got very excited about finally living in the snow. And even though I loved it, there are a few things that I learned along the way.

The Beautiful

Living in the snow is even more beautiful than I had imagined. It makes the city look so crisp and so clean right after a good snowfall. Winter never looks dull when the city is covered in snow. Without snow, it would just be a bunch of dead looking trees. So the snow brings a lot of light and beauty in the winter months that brightens peoples spirits.


The Good

Snow is actually kinda fun to live in. You can go sledding, skiing, snowboarding, even hiking. There are plenty of activities to do in the snow. And living in it is not so terrible when the city takes good care of the streets. They are constantly plowing and paving and gritting the roads and sidewalks to make it safe for people. So living in the snow from this aspect is not as bad as people make it out to be.


The Bad

Ok so living in the snow is great, until that snow is too densely compacted and it turns to ice. That ice becomes a slip and slide. And that slip and slide makes you fall and bruise your knee. This year I fell in early February and still had a bruise on my knee in late March because it was so bad. This was the side that people were warning me about. All it took was once icy patch and I quickly learned my lesson. 


The Ugly

The worst part about living in the snow is when it begins to melt. There's an ugly phase where the snow gets dirty and black and gross looking. Then it turns to the terrible sludge that requires rainbows to tread through. This part of living in the snow is the worst because all you are doing is swimming in filthy water and then hoping for spring to come. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: