Traveling Overweight in Europe

0 Comments

Overweight in Europe: How to Enjoy Yourself and Keep Traveling


It's no secret that I am overweight, that I have always struggled with my weight, and that dieting in Europe sucks. While living in Europe always helps me loose weight, it tends to fluctuate whenever something happens in life (like writing a thesis). But while I might be very self conscious of my weight, I never let it hold me back when it comes to travel. Sure I have dealt with harassment and judgement, but I chose to keep exploring, and that has brought so much joy into my life. 


Being overweight in Europe is not fun. Sure there are plenty of countries that are not judgmental and generally don't care what you look like. But there are other countries where there is a great deal of shame attached to being overweight. In France and Italy, people will sometimes change seats if you sit next to them on the bus or metro. They call you low-key mean names matter-of-factly as if it was no big deal. I've even had someone say that they never wanted to be seen with me because of my weight. 


But guess what? I don't care. Yes I need to make changes for my health, and I have in cycles. But sometimes I break the good habits and fall off the wagon. But I always plan to get back on the wagon. All of that is my choice though. But being fat doesn't mean I'm lazy. Being fat doesn't mean I don't care about myself. Those that are judging don't know the struggles that I have been through. I am very proud of the person that I have become and want to continue to challenge myself and become a better person. But that doesn't give a stranger on the street the right to judge me. 


So instead of getting sad about some random stranger who clearly has to work out their own issues if they amuse themselves by judging strangers and making them feel bad, I continue to explore, to grow as a person, to be happy, and to live the best life that I can. So if you struggle with your weight and are uncomfortable about traveling, step outside your comfort zone and do it. You won't regret it. Don't worry about how you look, worry about what your next adventure will be. Don't worry about what people will think of you, because there are always some amazing and incredible people that you meet along the way that will always brighten your day. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: