Do's and Don'ts: Battling Homesickness

0 Comments


Dealing with Homesickness 

Let's just say September has been a hard month for a lot of people, including myself. And with hardships, you tend to get at least a little homesick. I mean, everyone's human, they're going to miss something or someone eventually. So I try to battle that homesickness by taking advantage of the time that I have here. Here's some do's and don'ts of battling homesickness. 


Don't 

Don't sit and cry alone in your room, even when you get bad news. Of course take the time to get the tears out but don't dwell on it more than needed. Sitting alone only feeds into the pain, making you want to go home.

Do

Do go for a walk or a mini adventure. The best advice my dad gave me after delivering some sad news was to go for a walk. So I did what I love most about Paris, I went and saw the Eiffel Tower sparkle at night. It reminded me why I love the city and that I need to keep going for the ones that I love.

Don't

Don't dwell on the things that you don't have in the country or area. Yes certain things about a certain place suck. Trust me I know! (look for an upcoming post on things that I hate about Paris) But don't just think about the things you hate, because you will have a miserable time.

Do

Do remember why you chose to stay in the place for a specific period of time. Remember its original magic that it had and think of the new things that you like. If not, then go look for new things. I am constantly looking at TripAdvisor for things to do and see in Paris to keep that love alive.

Inside the Pyramid of the Louvre

Don't 

Don't just give up after a bad day. Bad days are going to happen. No city is perfect. And I can guarantee that you will have more than one bad day. So don't give up because a better day may be around the corner.

Do

Do treat yourself. Take yourself on a date or get pampered. Do something that you've always wanted to do in the area but haven't because of time or money. Just do it if it makes you happy.

Don't

Don't alienate yourself. It's hard making friends in a new city, especially paris. But keep pushing through those barriers because nothing is worse than not knowing anyone.

Do

Do take advantage of meeting people through work, classes, or meet up groups. Most foreign cities have expat groups or meet up websites that are not just for dating. When I can, I go to lunch with coworkers or talk to the other babysitters when picking up the kids. Eventually you're going to hang out after work. Hanging someone in the city always makes it better.

Always remember that nothing is going to be easy. It's a tough road to live out your dreams but it is also incredibly rewarding. Know that homesickness is normal and everyone goes through it. And when in doubt, just give home a call, tell them that you love them, and then keep calm and carry on. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: