One Woman's Struggle for French Internet

0 Comments

A Frustrating Quest for Internet

I have a problem with French vacation. Yeah, it's great to be able to go away somewhere for a few weeks. But if you're stuck here because you aren't on vacation, it gets really frustrating. The reason why is because everything is closed or is ten times slower than usual. Some people are even stuck without bread (gasp!) if their baker is on vacation. So what can you expect if you want to get some things done in August? Well predict a snail pace or waiting until September.

On August 4th, I walked into a store that provides internet. I walked out with a great cellphone plan and a subscription to internet. That week, a man came and installed internet in my apartment. All I had to do is wait for the box to arrive in order for me to have internet. And now I've been waiting for three weeks. Three weeks without internet in my apartment. Yes, the millennial in me is internally dying knowing that I have no internet and no television. Ok TV I can live without, but only because there is internet. So I've kept busy to keep myself from having to stay in my internet-less apartment. I've stayed in Normandy or gone to Amsterdam. And my lack of internet is more frustrating because it means that I can't research new trips, buy tickets, or even figure out where there is a grocery store nearest to me. I guess I'm left to wandering the streets and testing different stores until I can do some proper research.

L'Arc de Triomphe
But this is what gets me. They've already charged me for this month's internet. I don't have internet. So what the hell am I paying for? Once I get by box they are going to get a very persistant call telling them that I need to be reimbursed for the time that I was not connected to the internet. So here I am waiting for internet, hoping that my box will be delivered soon. So if I don't post anything on my blog for a while, its because I still don't have internet.

So why don't I have my box? Its because of the vacation. They basically almost stopped production in order for people to go on vacation. Then they sent it to a private delivery company, who also was on vacation. This means that I have to wait for the backorders to go through as vacation is coming to a close. So while it's nice to go on vacation, maybe its not so great to go on vacation all at once so that nothing gets shut down completely. Or maybe thats my American "time is money" mindset. Also we have a customer service mindset, but that is a post in its own. So keep your fingers crossed that I will get my money's worth sometime soon. But until then, just know that I am taking full advantage of living in Paris and entertaining myself through exploring the city.

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: