Do's and Don'ts: Summer Weather Packing in Northern France

0 Comments

You're hot then you're cold, you're yes then you're no...

I'm from California where we have hot summers and mildly cold winters. And in this past year, there was barely any rain, leading to a drought. So when I got to France, I at first appreciated the unpredictable weather. After all, it had been a while since I had seen rain. But after a month of on again off again rain, I'm starting to miss having one season at a time. Give me hot or give me cold, I won't complain, but never knowing if I should waterproof myself or dress for warm weather is starting to frustrate me. So if you are visiting Northern France, here's what you should remember when packing.

Don't

Don't assume that it won't rain. If you see the sun out that day, that's great, but if there are clouds in the sky, that means that there is the potential that it might right. The weather changes fast here. And in the matter of minutes you can go from blue skies to threatening dark clouds. Remember to always be prepared.

Clouds at La Tour Eiffel

Do

Do pack waterproof clothing. This means pack a jacket that will keep you dry and a pair of shoes that you can walk around in the rain with. For me I pack tennis shoes. They're not waterproof, but they're better than flip flops. Most of the time it is not so cold that you should bust out the snow gear, but bringing a light rain jacket is a must.

Don't

Don't just bring tank tops or winter clothing.  Tank tops can quickly become too cold and winter clothing gets heavy and hot. And since the weather is unpredictable, you may have worn that warm sweater for a good reason in the morning, but by the end of the day you are dying to get out of it.

Do

Do think about layering. By layering you can gradually add or discard as the temperature changes. It also allows you to mix and match so you get more use out of your items.

Clouds at Notre Dame de Amiens

Don't

Don't forget your umbrella. Since rain can happen at anytime, I always keep a collapsible umbrella in my purse with me. It doesn't take up much space and I am always ready for the unpredictable rain.

Do

Do remember to bring something warm. As I am sitting here writing this, I am curled up in a blanket because I forgot to bring something warm. Just one warm item is enough, but it sometimes becomes necessary. 

Don't

Don't forget your sunglasses. Even when it's raining there are patches of sun that you want to shield your eyes from. And since it is summer in France, the sun actually does come out. So remember a hat and sunglasses for those warm moments.

Do

Do remember that it is still summer. That means that enjoy the beach, explore the cities, and wander in the country. It gets warm here and it's always humid, but sometimes the rain and cold likes to make an appearance. The majority of the time it is sunny, but you'll want to be prepared for that rain that makes an unpredictable appearance every summer.

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: