The Truth About Finnish Food

0 Comments


Figuring Out Finnish Food: Is it as Bad as They Say it is?


The Nordics aren't known for having very flavorful food, so how does Finland compare? Well, let me preface this by saying that Finnish food isn't bad, it can just be a bit bland sometimes. There's no spices or even sauces. It always seems a bit dry and they're obsessed with rye bread. But there are some things the Finland is doing right. They love fresh berries and they sure know how to cook reindeer! So here is my best attempt at explaining the good and bad about Finnish food as an expat. 


The Best of the Best

1. Fresh Berries: in the summer is the best time to buy berries, or right after the berry picking season. Because of the colder climate, the berries taste different. They are the sweetest raspberries I have ever tasted. That's why in the summer and fall, I don't mind shelling out a few bucks for some local berries. 

2. Reindeer: eating reindeer in Finland is as common as eating steak in the US. And it's actually healthier for you too. It is rich in omega and is a lean meat. While I haven't liked every reindeer thing that I have tried, I do appreciate a good reindeer stew with lingonberries and mashed potatoes. 

3. Anything Fazer: Fazer is the Finnish chocolate company and it makes a variety of candies and the best chocolate in Finland! When visiting, you have to stop by the stores and pick up anything Fazer to try it out. They even have their own cafe in Helsinki, and it is really good food. 

4. Pyttipannu: this dish is essentially sausage hash. Instead of corned beef, they sauté sausage and potatoes for some good comfort food. Sometimes it is served with an egg on top, other times it is just plain. But if you're looking for some Finnish comfort food, look no further than pyttipannu. 


The Things I Still Don't Get

1. Salmiakki: this is a salty black licorice. And even though I am not the biggest fan of licorice, I can't stand salmiakki. It's bitter and salty and sticks to your teeth. But the Finns love it and I know that they are going to be upset that I think salmiakki is terrible. Sorry Finland!

2. Piimä: this is sour milk. Not spoiled milk, just sour. It is a milk with a funky flavor to it and I just can't handle it. But many of the Finns will drink it with their lunches and have it on a weekly basis. I don't know how they can do that!

3. Mämmi: this is a traditional Easter desert that looks like shit. Literally. It is a pile of black lump drowned in milk. Gross. It is actually a type of rye bread pudding, and the Finns sure love their rye bread. But I think the pudding is a step too far and the flavor is anything but good. 

4. Rye Bread: while I am on the topic of insulting Finnish national treasures, I'll throw rye bread in there. Sure rye bread can be good, but it seems like it is the only bread in Finland. It is so dry and tough the way they make it, it is impossible to enjoy. So I am sorry Finland, I just can't. 


You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: