Do's and Don'ts: Winter Weather Packing

0 Comments

Packing for Winter Trips When You Don't Know Cold

So you want to visit somewhere cold but you've never truly experienced the cold. Well you may be in for a surprise if you visit certain places in the winter time. So what do you pack? How do you pack when you don't know how you're going to react? And how do you pack light? Hopefully these tips that I've learned will help you. 


Don't

Don't get a jacket that doesn't fit right. A jacket that fits too tight makes you wander around like a penguin. And a jacket that is too big lets in drafts of air. If you have a jacket that tightens, you can adjust it to your size and block out the cold air, use it. If you have no solution to a big jacket, add a belt on the outside to keep all the warm air in. It may even look fashionable.


Do

Layer clothes. If you're like me and don't know true cold, one layer isn't enough. You need multiple. So pack sweaters and something that can go under the sweaters. Like a long sleeve shirt and tank tops. And if you're miraculously too hot, then you can take off layers. But you can't add more if you don't pack it.

Don't

Don't worry about wearing your clothes more than once. If you're layering your clothes, even if you sweat a lot, you're not dirtying all of your clothes. So you can wear things multiple times. So you may be packing for the same amount of days but you're just rewearing them more often.


Do

Remember the importance of socks. When you're feet feel like stumps you'll remember to pack more socks next time, or buy better boots. Either way, keeping your feet warm is important. I now pack two extra pairs of socks so that I can layer them in my boots. I also make sure that they'll fit in my boots once layered. And because of that I only bring one pair of good boots. Two max if I think they won't be able to handle the wet.
This face says I should have listened to my
family's warnings/I can no longer feel my feet
Brandenburg Gate, Berlin

Don't

Don't forget gloves, hats, and scarves. The goal is to insulate all of your body heat because nothing outside is going to warm you up. I never thought that hats were useful but I learned their value the second my ears got cold. And I thought scarves were decorative, well you got to protect the neck! So make sure you pack these essential items. They're more important than all the layers.


Do

Think about legs. After you're so bundled up from the waist up and look like the Michelin Man, remember that a pair of jeans might not cut it. You'll see the locals in jeans, so you think it's safe. But after wandering around in the cold city for a day, those jeans start to feel like barely there tights. So think about layering under the jeans, light tights or leggings. Those extra layers will hopefully help you insulate and protect you from that icy wind, because it's a bitch. (Excuse me for my language but that was the only fitting word that I could find.)

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: