Groseilles

0 Comments


Groseilles: Little Fruit Balls of Heaven

I'm sad. And this sadness is not being induced by homesickness, or stress, or long hours. No, this sadnesses is due to the fact that currants are no longer in season. Yes those wonderful fruits are no longer at my disposal for a reasonable price. I'm so in love with these berries, it was hard to say goodbye. So let me tell you about my relationship with these little balls of heaven. 

Think about raspberries and blackberries and blueberries. Think about how fresh tasting there are. It's the perfect snack for a hot summer day. And for the last couple of months, currants have been just that. But it doesn't need to be a seasonal relationship, I'm ok with making a long term commitment. But no, they only want to be ripe in the summer. These berries are little orbs filled with this sweet, tangy juice. The flavor reminds me of a cross between a blackberry and a raspberry. They're small like pomegranate seeds and when you put them in your mouth and squish them, they're little bursts of juice. The only problem is that they are sold on the vine, which means you have to pick each one. And one isn't enough, so you just end of up continuously popping these little bursts of deliciousness in your mouth, never fully satisfied. And why can we not find these in the US, oh yeah because they're native to Europe I guess I'll just have to move here then. Oh yeah, I did. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: