Three Months

0 Comments

How Time Flies

Three months ago to this day I said goodbye to my family, got on a plane, and braced myself for the unknown. I didn't have an apartment, a bank account, or social security. My french was a mess. I was scared. Now three months into it I still don't social security, but I have an apartment, some friends, and the realization that I can do this. Sometimes it feels like I've been here forever. Sometimes I feel like I just got here. But I still haven't regretted my decision. That must be a good sign, right?

Is it bad that I sometimes thought that this little experiment might fail? I mean I wanted it to work, but I can also give up easily. So taking this chance was even scarier with my history of quitting. But luckily I am even more stubborn. Even if I did want to quit I don't think I could ever let myself because look at all the money I've spent. Failure is not an option when you spend thousands of dollars.

On a flight back from London, I was talking with some people from Boston, explaining to them that I wasn't going to visit Paris but that I was just going back to where I live. Then it got into my story of just wanting to move and doing it. And then I had one of those moments where I realized that I am actually living my dream. I actually live in Paris. I'm no longer just imagining it. And I'm enjoying it.

I have a job, and it's going well. I am enjoying it at the this point in my life. I am making friends, none of whom are french, ironically. And I am traveling almost as much as I imagined. Traveling has turned more into an issue of time than anything. And every day I stop and smell the roses and think "yeah, I'm really doing this!"

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: