Learning French

0 Comments


Learning the Romantic Language is not so Romantic

Learning another language is hard enough. But learning a language where you pronounce half the letters in a word and is full of exceptions to every rule is downright frustrating. Learning French was so much easier back when I was fluent in it. Now I'm regretting being lazy and losing it. So here are some do's and don'ts if your interested in learning French. 


Don't

Don't pronounce all the letters in a word. Most of the time multiple letters make one sound of one one word. You don't pronounce the s or the t or the p at the end of each word. But this is one rule that is always followed. So once you learn it it's easy. But don't get discouraged by all the letter combinations.

Do

Learn masculine and feminine. Unfortunately, as if things weren't complicated enough, they throw in masculine and feminine. Like table is feminine but knife is masculine. So when you're talking you have to make sure that the adjectives are masculine or feminine depending on the noun. And I feel like this one is just a guessing game, one that I am losing badly.

Don't

Don't assume that a rule applies to all circumstances. I hate this rule because it's not exactly a rule. There are certain patterns in the French language but what frustrates me is that there are always exceptions to every rule. So they're more like guidelines than actual rules. Cool that helps me in no way!

Do

Remember that there are some sounds in the French language that just don't exist in English. Just like French people have trouble with the "th" sound, Anglophones have trouble with certain sounds as well. So don't let this discourage you if you don't get the sounds right away. Feel free to ask your teacher how they form the sounds in their mouths to better direct you to make the sounds. But don't let it frustrate you too much, I know that I've even hung up on my accent but I shouldn't.

Don't

Don't get discouraged by all the different verb tenses. There are just so many, I think more than in English. There are the tenses that you use only for writing. And there are so many types that there are different formulas and rules for each one. But don't get discouraged. If you're starting out, sticking with past, present, and future will get your point across until you expand to the others. But don't get discouraged.

Do

Remember to practice, practice, practice. Right now I am beating myself up for not speaking French for ten years. By constantly training yourself, you will remember things faster and you will get to the point where you will have to stop translating in your head. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: