Mâche

0 Comments

Mâche: The Best Spinach Ever

Ok so there's this lettuce here in France that is available in the US. Trader Joe's used to carry it, but apparently not anymore. And why would they ever do such a thing? Mâche is in season in the winter time, which means that my meals always include a salad with mâche. Here are some reasons why it's so great. 

It tastes like spinach but it's much lighter. It has smaller leaves and there are multiple per branch. This makes for a fluffy salad. It is also good for you.

The salad that I make over and over again is mâche with beets and shallots. Top it with a nice vinaigrette and voila! The reason why I keep eating this is because it is in season so it is cheap. I can buy a big bag, by French standards, for less than two euros and it will last me all week.

You can turn the salad into a meal. Add some hard boiled eggs and some walnuts and you have a nicely balanced dinner. After all, in France we eat smaller dinners and larger lunches. This stuff is just leafy goodness that I can't get enough of right now. Trader Joe's better get this back in stock by the time I get back! Just saying...

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: