The 10 Best Things to See in Munich

0 Comments

Munich: A City Out of a Fairy Tale

Germany is quickly becoming one of my favorite countries. From what I've seen I love the culture, I love the people, and I love the history. So of course I loved Munich. It was one of those cities that I couldn't leave Europe without seeing. And while I didn't flock to it for Oktoberfest, I did go for the history. So naturally this was a very hard top ten list to make.


10. Konigsplatz: this square is home to many art museums. The buildings are built in neoclassical style and is a great place to check out the art history of the city. But the square was once the place where the Nazi party held its mass rallies. So as beautiful as the place may be, it also has a dark history.

9. Odeonsplatz: very similar to the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Odeonsplatz pays homage to its past kings. It was also the sight where Hitler staged part of the the Beer Hall Putsch. Today it is a place where people gather to demonstrate or celebrate as the parade for Oktoberfest always goes through this square.

Odeonsplatz
8. Englischer Garten: this wasn't on my list until someone suggested it to me. And I'm glad they did because it is so beautiful. It's a great place to come and take a break from seeing the city and enjoy the green grass, the beautiful trees, and the hidden treasures within.

7. Viktualienmarkt: of course I couldn't make a list without food. This market is a great way to get fresh food as well as taste some of the delicacies of the region. And of course I can never say no to a good farmers market if I can try some of the food.

6. Schloss Nymphenburg: the Nymphenburg palace is absolutely beautiful. And even though I didn't get the chance to go inside, it is definitely on my list for my next visit to Munich. The palace was once the summer home of the rulers of Bavaria, so of course its grand decor displays those riches.

Konigsplatz
5. Fauenkirche: this famous church can be seen from many vantage points of the city. And with the beautiful domes and simple, but beautiful interior, you can see why it is so recognizable.

4. Dachau Concentration Camp: in the outskirts of the city, just an S-Bahn ride away, is the Dachau Memorial Site. The memorial offers guided tours, audioguides, and a museum explaining life in the camp. And while its an emotional journey, its worth the trip.

3. Munich Residenz: this palace is comparable to Versailles in Paris. With the golden ceilings, glass hallways, and rich decor you quickly figure out that the building used to be a royal palace. And I've always been a fan of royal palaces.

Neuschwanstein Castle
2. Marienplatz: the main square of the city is lively and beautiful. With the Town Hall towering over the square and the nearby churches peaking through, you really get a sense of the Bavarian architecture and beauty.

1. Neuschwanstein Castle: ok so not exactly in the city, and a bit of a train ride away, but it is worth the trip. This beautiful masterpiece of a castle, nestled within the mountains makes for a memorable day trip.

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: