Foodie Friday: Sauerkraut

0 Comments


Sauerkraut: Not as Gross as You'd Think

It's that time of year where sauerkraut is really popular. And I used to be one of those that hated sauerkraut back in the United States. I mean it's just fermented cabbage, what's the big deal about it? Well I'm starting to think that the United States is doing it wrong, because sauerkraut is amazing here and I'll probably have to try it in Germany to see if it's even better there. But for right now, I have no problem admitting that I was wrong about sauerkraut. 


What I thought sauerkraut was made out of was fermented cabbage, like really old and mushy, forgotten for a few months in the back of the refrigerator kind of nasty. Not appetizing at all. Turns out it's fermented in the same way that we make pickles. And I like pickles, so cabbage can't be too far off. And walking by the stalls selling sausages and sauerkraut in the Christmas market smelled so good! So I got brave enough to try it. And it was great. A salty tangy flavor that isn't overpowering and it's not mushy spinach, which never fails to make me gag and cry like a two year old (ask my parents about those painful dinners). And I'm glad that I was wrong on this one.

Sauerkraut here can be found in cans or in the pre-prepared food section. And it's usually served with sausages and potatoes. And I haven't yet tried the ones that come out of the cans, but the preprepared stuff is pretty good. But the best was from the Christmas markets.

So there you have it. Once again I am proven wrong and that trying somethings just pays off. So try sauerkraut in the winter time in France. It's pretty good. Just a little heavy for the summer. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: