New Years Traditions

0 Comments


Ringing in the New Year: The French Way

Since I knew that I was going to moving to Europe, I knew that I wanted to see New Year's Eve in Paris. I've wanted to see the fireworks above the Eiffel Tower since I've seen it on tv for the millennium. And I don't care if it's a tourist thing to do, it's what I want to do. Whether it's part of tradition or not, I would like to see the Eiffel Tower illuminated by colorful fireworks. But what are actual New Years even traditions in France? Surely it's not all about the Eiffel Tower. 


New Year's Eve in France is similar to that in the US. People throw parties the night before, toast the New Year with champagne, and give each other kisses at midnight. But the following day isn't quite known as national hangover day like in America. Maybe there's a few hangovers, but generally the French people don't go belligerently drunk crazy. 


The Eiffel Tower, My 2015 New Years
Destination


People generally gather at friends or family members' houses to celebrate. They don't have any major public event in the cities. Paris is known to do a few fireworks over the Eiffel Tower as well as some parades and shows. It's not known to be like New York on New Years but it is quite the celebration. Christmas lights are generally still up and people have just as big as meals as Christmas. But it appears that people in France place a lot more importance on the holiday than we do in the US. For many in the US, New Years is just an excuse to get drunk. But in France it's an important holiday that should be spent with loved ones. It should not be spent alone.

So what will I be doing for New Years? I will be doing the most tourist thing and not caring at all that it's the stereotypical thing to do. I will be standing under the Eiffel Tower watching the fireworks. And even though I'm uncomfortable in large crowds, I won't care because it's New Years! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments:

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: