Salade Niçoise

0 Comments

Salad Niçoise: More Than Just Tuna Salad

Ok so it's no secret that I don't like fish, but a nice composed salad (that I don't have to make) makes me very happy. And France does a great job with composed salads, one of the most famous being a salade niçoise.  And while its not anywhere near my favorite, it is a popular specialty in France that is worth a try.


A specialty from the city of Nice, the salade nicoise is a delightful blend of tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, red onion, olives, and (unfortunately) tuna. And that's where you can lose me. It is always served with a vinaigrette, though those vary in style themselves. The tuna may be served in a variety of ways, canned or seared, it's up to the chef. This salad used to be for the rich as in the 19th century, tuna was really expensive. Today it's either a meal or an appetizer. And there are so many variations; people add bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, with salad, without salad. And what I really like is when there is no tuna, that's when it becomes a really good salad in my book. So if you're in France and enjoy fish, try the salade nioise on a warm day for a refreshing meal.

You Might Also Like